Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Simple Pleasures: Farmstand Veggies

If you can't grown your own vegetables, the next best thing is to buy them directly from someone who does.  Since I only planted tomatoes this year (and one forlorn eggplant which did not live up to expectations), I'm happily relying on the little vegetable stand down the road to supplement our summer menu.

Here's a picture of today's haul:


Onions, summer squash, bell peppers, a jalapeño, and just-picked sweet corn.

$5.35.

Locally grown.

Life is good.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5 comments:

  1. Yum! What are you going to make with the onions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering for about three months now if the onions I didn't yank out of the ground last year are still edible this year, after going to seed. They look beautiful enough.

    And heck, the seeds are scattered across the foothills and yard. Maybe I'll have a GREAT crop next year!!!

    (I hadn't thought to try a farmers market for what my grasshoppers devoured. Of course, I haven't been in town on weekends, either...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look good! I like the price too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a delicious meal in the making. I grew only tomatoes this year too, the beets disappeared. Oh, I do have one red bell pepper plant with about 6 fruits on it, only one of which has turned red so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. Astri - one onion went into a pan of rice and beans. One went into a batch of chicken enchiladas. Two went into a large pan of roasted veggies (with some of the zucchini and peppers). I think there's only one left now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....